Are you looking for a holiday resource that is no prep, but loaded with fun? You have so much on your plate and we want to give you a resource that will have you looking like a rockstar teacher in no time at all! This Christmas Escape Room includes lots of informational text and learning opportunities, BUT your class will be having so much fun solving the puzzles, that they won’t even notice that it is work!
This is the perfect activity to give your students that double-dose of fun during those last few weeks before winter break! Whether you’re teaching in-person or online this December, you’ll have a fully digital and printable version so you can use the activity with ease no matter what your school’s situation. Your students will be eager to learn about different countries and their holiday traditions all while trying to solve which items will be brought to the holiday celebration through a series of clues and codes.
This activity is filled with a mixture of strategies and problems that a variety of grade levels will be able to utilize and enjoy! It not only challenges students to use their problem-solving skills, but it will challenge them to use their communication skills as well.
You’ll receive both digital and printable versions for use in class or for distance learning! It’s also perfect for hybrid classrooms.
The story starts by explaining to the students that the school is having a holiday celebration and they want to include holiday items (decorations, food, toys, etc) from all over the world. There are 6 different items that students will need to collect from the 6 countries that they will learn about. They will learn about the different cultures and traditions as well as be exposed to different vocabulary words as well. The countries they will visit in this activity are Russia, Germany, Mexico, France, England, and Israel.
On what platforms can I use this resource?
You can share this escape room easily on several different platforms making this a zero-prep virtual resource!
- Assign the PowerPoint slides through platforms such as Canvas, Schoology, and Teams, where students can complete the activities independently.
- Assign the Google slides through Google Classroom and have students complete the activity independently.
- Assign students into breakout groups to complete the escape room as a team digitally.
Using this resource in the classroom?
Check out how easy it is to use this escape room in the classroom! Students can work individually, as partners, or in groups.
- Print off all the task cards, laminate them (or put them in sheet protectors), and place them in an envelope. Students will need a dry erase marker to write on some of the task cards. Then label the envelope with the correct task number.
- Small Groups- Make multiple copies and envelopes using the same instructions above.
How much time will it take for students to complete this activity?
This activity will take around 45 minutes to an hour depending on the grade level of your students and if they are using the audio feature or reading the text independently. Another great option for time duration is to spend 10 minutes a day by covering one country each day.
Audio included on each teaching slide*
When students press on the audio button, they will have the slides read to them. This added feature is awesome for younger grades as well as your struggling readers.
* You may want to check with your school’s IT department beforehand to ensure that students are permitted to have access to linked audio from drive files outside of your school domain. This will determine if the audio will work for your students in Google classroom
What is included in this product?
- Digital escape the room slides with movable and fillable parts (Google Slides and PowerPoint)
- Printable PDF version of the escape room
- Teacher directions include how to download the resources, how to use it in the classroom, a video explanation, as well as an answer key
- Google Form for students to submit their responses and self-check their work.
- Audio on each teaching slide
Other Products you might like: